Brand Presentation: "Steirerkren" with recipe!
The highest quality Kren!
The SteirerKren brand stands for grated, Styrian horseradish of the highest quality. This makes it possible to enjoy real Styrian horseradish without having to peel and grate the horseradish first and watery eyes are a thing of the past. This is made possible by a processing method that makes the freshly grated horseradish durable and at the same time ensures that it keeps its aroma.
Cultivation and origin
As the name suggests, SteirerKren is grown in Styria. The main cultivation area is in Southeast Styria, around the city of Feldbach, in the middle of the Styrian volcanic country. The processing also takes place in Styria. This guarantees short transport routes, quick processing and top quality.
The horseradish roots are looked after extensively all year round. Each individual root is dug out several times by hand and planted again. This is done to rid the main root of surplus side shoots, which guarantees the highest quality.
In addition, the horseradish roots are planted level in Styria. This makes Kren significantly more complex to cultivate than other varieties, such as the pumpkin that is also often grown in Styria.
Harvesting and processing
The horseradish roots are harvested twice because they are hardy. Once in late autumn, after the first night frost, and then again in spring. The horseradish roots that remain in the ground in winter are cooled naturally due to the cold temperatures, which means that the aroma is completely retained. This saves storage and energy costs.
The crop harvest is very labour-intensive because even today a lot has to be done manually. Around 1000 working hours are needed for one hectare.
The harvested roots are cooled as quickly as possible. After a handpicked selection, they are machine washed and then manually cleaned again. That increases the quality. When cleaning is complete, the roots are grated and packaged for retail.
Recipe for Kren Cream Soup
- 1200 ml vegetable stock
- 150 ml white wine
- 6 tablespoons of Steirerkren
- 4 slices of black bread
- 3 small potatoes
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 green apples
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 onions
- Peel the onions and the cloves of garlic and chop them finely. Now peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and fry potatoes, onions and garlic until translucent.
- Deglaze with white wine and pour in vegetable soup.
- Now add the horseradish and let everything cook for around 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice the apples and set aside about 4 tablespoons for the garnish.
- Now dice the black bread slices and roast them in olive oil until they are crispy.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, add crème fraîche and puree the soup with a hand blender until it is frothy.
- Add the apple pieces and let the soup steep for a few minutes.
- Arrange the soup in large soup plates and garnish with bread cubes and the remaining pieces of apple.
- 100 ml, 250 ml, 500 ml, 750 ml, 1.000 ml
- No chemical additives
- Contains valuable linoleic acid
- Refine your food
In stock5.0 (18)
- Gently processed
- Made from high quality pumpkin seeds
- Won several awards
In stock5.0 (6)
- 250 ml, 500 ml, 1.000 ml
- 100 % pure, authentic Styrian pumpkin seed oil
- Freshly pressed on a weekly basis
- Gold Medal 2017
In stock4.9 (327)